Sunday, January 30, 2011

the Serene Café


I was at a café in Da-An district in Taipei city, Taiwan, where I went to university. 


It was a Sunday morning in the spring. I ordered a cup of café latté and a cinnamon roll for my breakfast. 


I love café latté, which tastes bitter and sweet and smells smooth with steamed milk. I put my textbook of Education with ant-liked notes in the table where I sat, and tried to concentrate myself to study for the final exam. However, my mind flew to a class I had taken before, the teacher in the class said she liked to enjoy the morning of elections. while most people go ahead to vote for someone who are going to win or lose, the whole city is rarely empty and quiet. 


Now, I was here, in the morning of an unknown election results, at an almost empty cafe to enjoy this kind of serene moment. 


I took the seat next to window, where I could clearly see or vaguely hear something outside. There was an MRT rail above hiding the road from the slight spring sunshine. Some women handed their children on the way to traditional morning market, and a boy held an ice cream cone with a satisfied smile on his white baby face as he just got out a store in front of my window.


I was thinking that someday I would be able to live in a foreign country myself for a while and try to learn how people think in a different way. I expected the new place where I would stay would have fresh air, sunshine, and passionate people. Unfortunately, I knew what I looked at was an empty dream of a college girl like the empty city I was in here now.


But, I knew ever there, I was not a daddy's girl anymore. I knew what I should do or what I should not. I knew I should hold this college moment to inhale as much knowledge as I could instead of hanging out with the childish boyfriend I have.


However, I know...the unique experience I looked for in that college girl's age is coming TRUE now.



Photograph: w.wei,yinke

3 comments:

  1. Dear Maker of Blueberry Cellophane, it is such a pleasure to meet you! I find your blog very beautiful. The combination of being simultaneous "peaceful" and "passionate" seems fresh and exciting to me. What will a young woman who is peacefully passionate or passionately peaceful say and do? Already, I love the images you create in your writing. I could see you growing up over your cup of coffee in the cafe. I would love to know what the image of the feet and childish drawing make you think of! Thank you so much for creating this blog for me to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear YuChieh. You really like coffee. Reading your words, I expect to spending a whole afternoon sitting in a coffee bar and observing the different behavior and mood of the pedestrians. I don't need to think anything in that afternoon, just enjoy that precious peaceful moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear YuChiech, I like the way how you express your feelings. Reading "The Serene Coffee", I liked the great warmth of your words. I hope your dreams still becoming in a reality.

    ReplyDelete